- What is Site Meter ?
- What is Site Meter tracking exactly?
- Why is my counter stuck? The counter doesn't increment every time I reload my page.
- Why do some of my visitors have visit lengths of 0:00?
- Will Site Meter slow down my page?
- How easy is it to add a meter to my site?
- I don't like the style of the web counter. Are any other styles available?
- How do I add the Site Meter to my web page?
- My Site Meter looks distorted on my web page. What's wrong?
- Can I put Site Meter on every page of my site?
- What is the difference between a visit and a page view?
- I clicked on my counter and it took me to my statistics page.Can everyone see my site's statistics? Can I make them private?
- How can Site Meter be free?
- I put Site Meter on the main page of my site but it isn't tracking the other pages. Do I have to put it on every page of my site?
- I've just switched from another counter to Site Meter . Can I start my counter at the number of visitors to my site before switching to Site Meter ?
- How do I reset my counter to a specific number?
- I forgot my codename and/or password.
- I set my privacy level to HIGH but it isn't working. People can still see my statistics by clicking on the counter on my site.
- Why do some of my visitors show a real domain name and others only show a name like JEFF, WILLIAM or unknown?
- I have Site Meter on every page of my site. I'm also using another tracker. Site Meter shows 99 visits and the other one shows 70 visits. What's wrong?
- I want to send email to everyone that visits my site. Will Site Meter tell me my visitor's email address?
- I'm moving my site to another address. What do I need to do?
- My site is on two different servers. Will Site Meter work?
- After I added the counter to my web page it displays fine in Internet Explorer but I get a script error when in the Netscape browser. What is wrong?
- I'd like to use Site Meter to track my visitors but don't want a counter to be visible on the pages of my site. Does Site Meter offer an 'invisible' counter?
- The counter has stopped showing up on my site and I'm now seeing a broken link. The statistics reports for the account
are still tracking visitors but all the charts don't display. Whats wrong?
- I've been getting email reports every week from Site Meter but they always show zero visitors to my site. I know people have visited my site.
Why isn't Site Meter tracking my visitors?
- I've stopped getting my weekly email traffic reports from Site Meter. What happened?
- I'm seeing two counters on my web site instead of one. What can I do to remove the extra counter?
What is Site Meter ?
Site Meter is a free, fast, and easy
way to add a web counter to your web page. Not only can it display
the number of visitors to your web site, it also keeps statistics
on the number of visits each hour and every day. It also provides
detailed information about these visitors. These statistics are
provided in real time so they are always up-to-date.
What is Site
Meter tracking exactly?
Site Meter tracks page views and visits. You
may also have heard the term "hits". When someone comes to your
site, they generate a "hit" for every piece of content that is sent
to their computer. Viewing a single web site page would generate
one hit for the page and one hit for every individual graphics file
that was on the page. A single page could easily generate a dozen
or more hits. When you are browsing a site, every time you follow a
link, it is treated as a single "page view". Site Meter defines a
"visit" as a series of page views by one person with no more than
30 minutes in between page views.
Why is my counter stuck?
Site Meter is a little different than other
counters. It counts visits and not page
views . The number that is shown on your counter is the number
of visitors and it will only increment when a new visitor comes to
Why do some of my visitors
have visit lengths of 0:00?
That means the visitors are only staying to
view a single page and then leaving. The only way that Site
Meter knows how long someone is on a site is by the times of
each page view. If they only look at a single page and then leave,
we don't know how long they looked at the page. If they looked at
two pages and left we would know they at least were on the site
during the time of the first page view and the second page view.
The difference between those two times would be the length of the
Will Site Meter
delay my page loading speed?
No. Site Meter uses dedicated
servers that are directly connected to the US Internet backbone.
Your meter will probably be the fastest loading part of your
is it to add a meter to my site?
instructions are available for adding Site Meter to your
site using FrontPage, Dreamweaver, Claris Home Page, Adobe PageMill,
Netscape Composer, NetObjects, Trelix, Adobe GoLive, ixla Web Easy, NotePad and many others.
I don't like the style of
the counter. Are any other counter styles
Site Meter will be adding new
counter styles and display options for your meter in the future.
We'll notify you automatically by e-mail when they are
How do I add the Site
Meter to my web page?
After you've registered your Site
Meter , select "HTML Code" from the manager page of your account.
On that page are instructions and the HTML code to add to your web
My Site Meter
looks distorted on my web page. What's wrong?
The HTML editor you are using may have put a
width and height for the counter that doesn't match the current
size of the counter. Remove the width="###" and height="###" values
from the HTML code for the counter, or repaste the original HTML
Can I put Site
Meter on every page of my site?
Yes. That way you will be able to track the
number of pages viewed on your site and the length of their visit.
Use the same HTML code on each page from a
single Site Meter account.
What is the difference
between a visit and a page view?
When you are browsing a
site, every time you follow a link to a new web page, it is treated
as a single page view . Site Meter
defines a visit as a series of page views by one
person with no more than 30 minutes in between page views. If you
click on a link to another site, and then come back to your site
within 30 minutes, you are still on the same visit and Site
Meter won't increment the counter. But Site Meter
will increment the number of page views recorded for your current
I make my site's statistics private?
Yes, on the manager page
select privacy level. From there, you can make your
site's statistics password protected and even remove your site from
any public list of sites Site Meter may create.
can Site Meter be free?
Site Meter is supported by
the advertising shown on each of its pages. You are helping to support
Site Meter every time you see an
advertisement, click on a banner or signup with a service
advertised on Site Meter.
have to put Site Meter on every page of my
You will need to put the
Site Meter HTML code on every page that you want it to
count. Site Meter only knows a page was viewed when a
counter is displayed from the Site Meter server. If the
page doesn't have a Site Meter counter on it, it doesn't
know that someone viewed your page.
I start my counter at the number of visitors to my site before
switching to Site Meter ?
Yes, go to the manager
page and select "Starting Count". On that page, you can set the
starting count and date of your Site Meter .
How do I reset my counter to a specific number?
set the starting count for your meter. That will let you set the
number of visits to your site before joining Site Meter.
This will make the count shown on your site higher.
forgot my codename and/or password.
If you move your mouse
cursor over the counter on your web site, your codename is
displayed on the status bar at the bottom of your browser. It'll
look like; http://www.sitemeter.com/stats.asp?site=
Take your codename and go to the
resend-your-password page. Enter your codename there and your
password will be emailed to you.
set my privacy level to HIGH but it isn't working.
First, make sure you
pressed the "SAVE" button at the bottom of the privacy level page
after you selected the privacy level you want. Also, as long as you
are still logged into Site Meter, clicking on your
counter will take you to your site's statistics page.
Everyone else who clicks on your counter will be sent to the
Site Meter home page and will not be able to see your
statistics. To test the privacy of your statistics, logout of your
account, then go to your site and click on your counter, you will
be sent to the Site Meter home page instead of your
do some of my visitors show a real domain name and others only show a
name like JEFF, OEMCOMPUTER, WILLIAM or unknown?
When a computer loads
the Site Meter counter, it sends the IP address of the
person browsing to Site Meter . Site Meter
takes that address and does an internet command that turns it into
the domain name (Reverse DNS is what it is called). But sometimes
the Reverse DNS doesn't return a domain, just the computer's name.
Not every IP address that is used on the internet has a domain
name associated with it. If there is a domain name, then the
domain name gets returned otherwise the computer's name gets
returned. Sometimes, even the computer's name isn't found so Site Meter
just displays the IP address of the visitor.
other tracker doesn't match Site Meter's counts.